Umwaka Musha Muhiri!! (Happy New Year!!!!)

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!
yes I know I know, I promised in my last blog post that I would write two blog posts that week.. but I didn't and I also an out of time to write one last week. Life just gets in the way of your plans here in Rwanda. I have a pile of emails to reply to (and facebook messages - sorry girls ) but I just don't have the time. or I don't feel like it.
anyway I believe I left off the blogging world on Boxing day, in fact I was quickly writing a blog while I was waiting for the bus to arrive to take me to Kigali!

I stayed in Kigali for 5 days. Kigali is the capital city of Rwanda, the very first time I went to Rwanda when I was still a baby (or just 18) I stayed in Kigali. I know only a handful of people there including some of the kids from the first orphanage I worked at and of course the wonderful Noel Young people who live at the Turning Point house from the organisation I am volunteering for. One of these people is Noella. In fact she is the main reason why I go to Kigali at all. The second time I was in Rwanda I met her at Noel Orphanage when she was very sick and hardly spoke any english. I loved her so much then, but now I love her so much more. We have really gotten to know each other very well. And I know that when I move to Rwanda there will always be a place for her and her little brother in my home.

I was there to celebrate the birthday of Noella (which was on 25 December - hence her name)! We went out for lunch and I bought her a few treats (shoes and clothes, which every girl loooves!) . Then we decided to bring christmas to the turning point house, so we went to the fancy white person super market and brought them all lots of delicious treats. At the turning Point house currently there are 3 girls Odette and Muhosa who are studying hair dressing , and Noella who is only their for her school holidays. There are 5 boys also Patrick Mambo, Gatto and Setto who are all studying, Israel (who was only their for his school holidays) and Innocent- more on him later..(at the time when it was Noellas birthday he wasn't living there)


Everyone loved the christmas treats, it was nice to continue celebrating the joy of christmas. The next day I went to visit Nyamata with three of my kids from the first orphanage that I first worked at Mussa, Angel and Mohammed. We went to visit their mother and younger sister Majuma who I also know from the orphanage. It was a strange experience for me, as I felt very uncomfortable about the fact that she had just deserted her kids in a terrible terrible orphanage for so many years.. the reasons given for some parents in Rwanda for deserting their children really are incredible. I don't know how having a disability, or even having poverty is an escuse for giving up your child. One of my friends from Noel told me his story yesterday about how his fahter is still alive and his mother only died in 2011 yet they lived their whole lives in the orphanage, while they took other partners and had other children. I can't understand how someone could have so little love for their own children. It is really not understandable. There really is a spiritual warfare here in Rwanda the harsh reality of poverty hardens people here in Rwanda.

What else did I do? I went to church, went to the kimironko market and tried to find a duffle bag (no luck), and I also visited the garage of two ex Noel people Claude and Claude. It is a big garage which has 200 employees situated next to the extremely busy Nyabagogo taxi park. They also have a car wash attached to it which runs 24/7. My father when he came to Rwanda last time spent most of his time with Claude (who is now late 20's or early 30's). My parents decided to financially support Claude for a buisness venture. The first one was not such a success and then he invested his money into this garage. I was so proud of my parents for what they had done for Claude. Even Claude said without your parents who knows where I would be (probably in the same situation most of the ex Noel people seem to be in). I went to visit his wife (also ex Noel) and cute child. They live very well, and again I was happy to see what Claude had achieved with the money given to him!!

The best part of the garage was that they were very willing to employ any ex Noel residents who wanted a job. They had given a job to some from Noel , but unfortunately working hard was not something they wanted to do.

While I was staying at the turning point house, Innocent who is 18 (who I mentioned earlier) was coming all the time and I found him sleeping on the couch in the afternoon at the house. I knew Innocent from Noel orphanage, and I knew that he was/is sick. Also I knew that Innocent was not one of the ones who was supposed to be living at turning point house. I asked Noella 'why does innocent always come here? does he not like the family that he has in kigali?' she replied and said that she didn't think that Innocent even lived with his family and that he lived on the street. I spoke to Innocent that evening and asked him many questions. Turns out he has been living on the streets of Kigali for 1 and a half years , sleeping under a bridge. His only family , his older brother had rejected him and said that he could not support Innocent. He ate only at his friends places (if they let him) and every day life was a struggle. He even said that life was so bad that he wanted to die.

This of course moved me greatly, I asked him what he thought was the solution to his problems and he said that he could go to Gisenyi and work there. I asked him about his work and he told me that he could help with washing cars at the bus stations. But that they were only paid 500 franks (about 70 cents) per car and they might only get once car per night and sometimes no cars at all. I asked if this money was enough to live off and to keep off the streets and he said No. So then I remembered the garage and car washing buisness of Claude and Claude and suggested we go there for a job. We went there bright and early the next morning with most of the residents of Turning Point house (who were all equally concerned about Innocent as me) and we asked one of the Claudes for a job. Claude accepted and Innocent could start straight away! They get paid 2000 franks per car at this car wash. The next thing I did was ring Viateur the manager of point foundation to request permission for Innocent to stay at turning point house, at least until he got enough money saved to take his own place to rent. Viateur accepted. So in one hour Innocent went from jobless and homeless, to having a job and a good home to stay in!!!

Of course things haven't gone that smoothly for Innocent, he has gone to work every day but in the beginning some of the other workers were refusing to give him cars to wash.Also one of the conditions for working at the garage is that you have to provide your own cleaning materials. I had left Money with Noella for him but it wasn't enough, so we were only able to buy the materials a few days ago when I returned to Kigali. However 2 days ago Innocent told me that he had helped wash 5 cars that day! This was very encouraging to hear. And I hope that now he has all the correct gear and he is not so new anymore he will continue to earn lots of money!

After my visit in Kigali, I went back to Gisenyi in time for New Years Eve! Just like at home , New Years is a massive celebration! I visited a whole lot of friend and the orphanage. It happened to be the last day that the orphanage was open (ever) and a whole lot of kids from Noel had come back for the celebration. They were supposed to be having one last soccer match, so all the soccer boys had come. However I had to leave early and couldn't see the match. I found out later that there was no match after all , because nobody felt like playing, so I am glad I did not stay and wait around.

In the evening one of my colleagues, Alexi from UCC came to collect me. I went to his friends party , and was suprised to meet one of the older ex Noel guys Cleophus there. So now I knew two people at the party. Of course there was like 2 hours of speeches. Rwandan people sure like their speeches. and so long. I just. Don't. Understand. Luckily my family rung me through one of the speeches so perfect escuse to leave the party and talk to my family. At about midnight the speeches and games stopped and we sat waiting for new years eve. No count down, no screaming as 2015 approached, no hugging and kissing as the new year came. It was very much an anticlimax. Very different from what I am used to. After the turn of the new year we finished the game and ate food. Then dancing began at 2am unfortunately I had planned to stay up til 6am but I was too tired by 2am even to do some dancing. So 5 guys walked me home (because is apparently is toooo dangerous for me to be walked home by just 1 or 2 people).. The next day super tired I got up to wash my clothes, while I was washing the little sister of my friend Betty (one of the deaf girls) came to call me and said that Betty needed me. I stopped my washing and went to Betty's house.

I sat at Betty's house for about an hour wondering why Betty wanted me, while I spoke with her family. After a while I was about to leave when they said Oh but we are preparing lunch for you , you can't leave. Turns out 1st Jan is a big holiday in Rwanda.. My friend Giselle had rung me the night before asking me to come visit her home in the afternoon and I was thinking that I needed to visit Giselle also. Betty put a HUUUGE plate of food in front of me with the classic Rwandan treat foods Meat, spaghetti, Chips and rice.Also they gave me a huge glass of creamy milk. While I was struggling to eat the food my phone rang, it was Giselle. She says Keza where are you? are you coming ? we are waiting for you? So I quickly eat my food (what a mission) and explain that another friend is waiting for me. I rush to Giselles house feeling pretty miserable because of all the food I just ate. There waiting for me was another massive plate of food (with yes you guessed it rice, pasta, chips and meat) as well as a fanta. Giselle (who I love to bits) kept looking at me making sure I was eating. So there I was struggling with every bite , when my phone rings. Its Kalisa the cook for the two french girls. He says keza where are you? I have prepared an amazing meal for you and the french girls you are supposed to be here for lunch. I had to tell him that it really was impossible for me to eat anymore... The ridiculous thing was that I wasn't even invited by anyone (only Giselle) the night before...

I just forgot something about before new years eve, on the way home from Kigali I stopped in Musanze 9the city halfway between Gisenyi and Kigali) for about half a day, to visit one of my favorite ex NOEL kids Martin. I walked forever to meet his family , in their ridiculously poor house. His mother is deaf, dumb and I am also sure has some type of mental disability. For me I could understand why he was put in the orphanage. In fact when I saw the life that he had in Musanze I was SO GLAD that he had been raised in the orphanage. One of the other girls living with his mum, the same age as Martin was not even in school and she had only finished 3 years of primary. If Martin had remained at home with his mother, he would be in that same situation. On the way back to the bus we ran into Mussa one of the other ex Noel boys who lives in Musanze, we went to visit his home. It was a nice trip. and made me really appeciate the benefits of Noel orphanage even if it difficult to see when you are there.

Anyway I have people to see , places to go , things to do. Will have to update you all on the last 11 days some time soon.. Otherwise I wish you all a Happy New Year! May you all have peace and joy !
xoxoxo keza

Comments

Popular Posts