many more mazunugus

These next few weeks we are expecting  many visitors. A girl from australia arrived  yesterday, two dutch ladies today , 3 belgium people come next week, this week a group of 7 from the Point foundation are coming ( we can't wait to meet them) and next week a big christian mission group are coming for a few days, so lots and lots of Mazungus... They are all staying for two or less weeks so next month should be pretty quiet. Even though there will be  many mazungus (white people) , it will still be impossible to outnumber the kids here, it is overwhelming the number of kids here, especially as of today some have holidays and then instead of half the kids hanging off you its almost all the kids! So it will be good for other people to give them attention too.. Today the primary school had theirexaminations , so in the morning I did some English and maths , English was suprisingly very good , but maths, some children who were ten did not know what 5-2 was, I spent about an hour demonstrating with my fingers holding up 5 then putting down two and then doing the same to their hands. In the end they got it.. I wish  I had more patience.. I can understand if its a different language but I was doing the sums in Kinyarwanden.. Patience is something that I don't know a whole lot about.. These last few weeks children have left, well in 2 cases it was great news, the other 2 ,I am not so sure about. Two little toddlers a boy and a girl were adopted by a middle class rwanden couple who were super sweet, they also had an adopted son who was 15. I was so happy for these kids who didnt really know what was going on, but they would one day obviously realize how fortunate they were to be adopted in a country , where you are one hundred times more likely to be put into an orphanage than adopted. I was so happy. The kids I think were too for the other chidren. Then there was Kitto she was a bit slow ,and came from congo , one day I walked outside to see her in the car and the driver said they would take her back to her family in Congo , I couldn't help thinking if they were her family, why was she in an orphange? Then the most awful thing happened yesterday , Theorneste one of the boys us volunteers have all gotten quite involved with  (one of the volunteers was giving him private lessons because he wasn't in school)left. He was apparently dropped off by his aunt here in the beginning of the year, his parents are dead , and he was working as a house boy for her , one day they were going to Gisenyi and she just stopped at Noel Orphanage and told him to get out (of the car I am assuming). He has been at the orphanage ever since. She came to pick him up yesterday , probably realized she needed a slave, he was given ten minutes to pack , he barely could say goodbye, I ran like a loony to find emmanuel his best friend here and emmanuel got to say goodbye. Theoneste was crying like anything. He was not happy to see his aunt, they left on foot, the gate keeper locking the gate so noone could follow him. How can her behaviour be justified? It was so sad, do children here have no rights? They are expected to leave their home of one year in just ten minutes. How unjust, how inhumane.
Noella is going to a flash new hospital tomorrow, which was built by the Clinton foundation about two hours drive from home , Nicole a peace corp worker who teaches in the local school arranged it , I am very thankful for her. Noella is not getting any better,however she does have good days and good weeks, this week has been a bad week and today a bad day. I hope seeing different doctors will come up with some positive result . Also  I hope that she never ever has to eat raw garlic cloves again , she has to eat three every night for 'dinner' that is part of her 'medicine', also she has to wear this muddy clay mask all over her body for an hour, it stings like anything , it reminds me of stinging nettles. This medicine may help(though I am very sceptical), but its definitely not making her more comfortable. Today a lot of kids are in a celebratory mode because exams are finished! I can totally understand how they feel! This week a soccer coach from England is coming and will train the older boys and hopefully girls. Next week Teusday we are having the Nyundo world cup. There will be a few teams hopefully outside of Noel and the four teams from Noel ,the teams names are as follows; fluffy unicorns, bieber fever, fairy dust and rainbow sprinkles. They are all great names except I don't know what team I will be cheerleader of, so a quick scan of the names ,and a gorgeous boy John Bosco who is very small for his age and is constantly being ignored by the older boys got my pick to cheer for, hes on team ' bieber fever'. Everyone in Rwanda is obsessed with Justin Bieber, I don't know whyto be honest, so they realy liked that name for a team.Pink John and I will be the official cheerleaders, I still have to make a poster with John Boscos name on it.
I am soon of to the market to buy fruit for the children it will be fun!
mirigue
keza

Comments

Popular Posts