We'll go have a glass of juice

As the title suggests this is what was directed to me on the bus. It probably is not the best pick up line I have heard in Rwanda so far, and trust me I couldn't even count all the pick up lines I have heard directed to me and pretty much every other muzungu girl under 30. Needless to say I said no and jumped out of the bus very fast, the person trying to do the pickup was some freaky middle aged man who thought New Zealand was next to Austria and had a big fishing industry. Everywhere I go its oh you are so beautiful , I love you , If I don't want to buy something its oh you must because you know you are so beautiful. I really think when I go to Holland that I will be extremely confused wondering why no one is stopping me on the street saying I must buy their extra large men's pants because I am so beautiful and I will wonder why nobody is looking at my legs and feet like they are the most fascinating things ever.
Last weekend was cool , we explored the city (me and another volunteer called Kat) , we met several of Rwanda's musicians and we saw how a studio looked like and met the producer of Meddy which is Rwandans most famous singer , who you hear very often on the bus . We went out for Indian dinner which was good and I found Bischuit(!!!!), At this indian shop that sold a lot of Belgium products since Rwanda was once a colony of belgium (who stuffed things up majorly may I add for the country)(to all kiwis its a really yummy dutch thing that you put butter on etc) so I only had bishuit all sunday , it was good!! I have also taken up reading again which is awesome , so I can start to become a bit more educated!!I also went to chuch.
New volunteers came on friday which was nice! We are probably moving house this week , to another location which is cool because then I can explore a new neighbourhood and hopefully won't become too well known with the children , because the children in Kimirongho where I live know me very well , and everytime I leave the house they crowd around me, I am running out of phrases to use, kisses to give (thats not really true)and songs to teach. Yesterday, Sunday I looked out of the window and noticed out of no-where this marquee had been erected in the alley way/small road, next to our house so I went to have a look and they were having a wedding!!!! Well they were having the dowry part of the wedding, I actually knew the neighbours but I didn't know the girl Maryanne that was getting married, I don't think she lived at home anymore, I was immediately invited into the house and forced to drink some traditional drink , which was a mixture I am positive of beer , tea and porridge , three favorites of the rwandese, it was so so disgusting!!I had one small sip and said undehasje ( I am full) and left very quickly.
Then later I went to watch the dowry ceremony which involved the bride giving presents to the husbands family and putting hairbands on the female members of the families heads. It was intriguing and then they shared a cup of juice and everyone got glass bottles of fanta and coke, by that point I left because I was constantly being motioned to sit at the front, facing everyone in the place reserved for the bride groom and bridesmaids... because I am white, they didn't blink at any one else gathering around and wanted me to sit at the front , I said 'sorry no I had to go' , even though I really didn't want to go!! The bride and groom looked so young, and here they hardly marry for love even though they think they love eachother but because of status and family, and every girls family has to give a minimum of 2 cows (if you are poor) to the husbands family, and much more the richer and greater catch the husband, apparently though if the woman is older than the man its the other way round!!
Anyway getting off the subject of weddings , I think its time I said goodbye
haven't said much about my children today , which is odd , since I am full of happy thoughts about them , if anyone would like to contribute for these amazing children please email me!!!
Some guy in canada is supposed to be paying all the school fess of the children this month , but it is unsure whether he will actually pay!! If he doesn't there is a huge disastor, because all of the children will be sent home from school and won't be allowed back until the fees have been paid, and its really expensive, I really hope this canadian guy keeps his promise and if he doesn't I will be very very angry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I will keep you posted!!
hope you all have a great week
love kim (or as my beautiful children say KIIIMUUU)

Comments

Popular Posts