2 months- minus 1 week

Time goes fast when you're having fun... or it could be that it just goes fast when you're stressing.
Its already been a week past the 2 month to go mark!


I've been having some pretty full on weeks with overseas visitors, friends coming from all over the country to visit, organizing my market (well at least trying not to forget that I am having one), weddings, buying a new car,  meetings with church etc.


Sometimes I feel that I am not doing enough for my big move and that I should be more busy/more overwhelmed and stressed.. but my strategy of doing two things (for my move) a week has  really been paying off. I am now about a month in front of schedule for all the things that I should have organized (I made the schedule 5 months ago.) This is unusual for me as usually I am not a super organized person. For example I often pack my overnight bags 10 minutes before I have to leave to get somewhere . I do best under pressure. This is probably why I am feeling that I need a bit more pressure in my life .


At Life Group the other night, we were talking about things we wanted prayer for  (issues we are dealing with, things that are worrying us etc) I couldn't think of anything on the top of my head.
I was reminded to just be thankful that things seem to be going so smoothly. It does make me worried though ... you know the whole "calm before the storm thing.."


I've been doing a lot of thinking about what kind of "ministry" or work that I would like to do, and what values I want to live by, while in Rwanda. I think the core element of my work is that I would like to be Incarnational in my work and life to the best of my ability. Its a bit of a hard word to get your head around but basically it means living alongside the people you are serving and immersing yourself in the culture that you live in. Which means living in the same living conditions, speaking the same language, eating the same food, adopting the same customs.


A lot of "mazungu" people in Rwanda live like Americans, or like English, or like French people in Rwanda. They are separated from local people.. not just because of their skin colour and mother tongue, but also because they live in much more affluent luxurious conditions than the average population. They also spend their days (especially free time) amongst people who are just like them (other expats) eating the food that they have always eaten (burgers, sea food, pasta etc), and learning no Kinyarwanda other than a poorly pronounced "Muraho" (hello) and Murakoze (thankyou).


still not used to eating without cutlery but I will get there.

I understand (to some extent) that people want to feel safe and secure, and less homesick, surrounding themselves with what they know and understand, and what makes sense to them. And some people have not come to Rwanda with the intention of helping people, but are instead pursuing their own business interests or career (and so then have no motivation or reason to live in an Incarnational way.)


However if I wanted to live like that why on earth would  I move to Rwanda? I might as well just stay in New Zealand.
Here at least there  would be a lot less staring, marriage proposals and I would be able to find liquorice in every shop.


But I find that Rwandan Culture is so beautiful, the people are so generous, supportive and loyal. I simply just want to be with them and to learn from them, and not to be living a western life in Wellington.


Reading up about Incarnational Ministry, it seems that a lot of missionaries/scholars who are against this way of Ministry. But I just can't understand why. I mean isn't that literally what Jesus did? and If these scholars actually took the time to talk to the local people and ask them what they thought , I can be almost certain that they will say that someone who lives in an Incarnational way has more impact and has earned more respect in their community than someone who chooses to live in a Western Bubble.


I feel privileged to be given the opportunity to live amongst the Rwandan people, to hopefully become fluent in Kinyarwanda, and other African languages (Kiswahili is the next on my list), to learn how to cook their meals, wash my clothes by hand as thoroughly as they do and hopefully even be able to learn to dance like them (okay that will never happen!)


Pretending that I can dance - in Rwanda


As a social worker I believe that removing as many barriers as possible is the most effective way of working with people. I never try to wear fancy expensive clothes (not that I really own any) when I visit my clients who are living on a low income. I  always dress conservatively when I visit my client and her Muslim family. I always try to speak "lay mans English" and explain things simply when talking with a client who may not have had a similar level of education as me. I always try to learn a bit of the language of the client I am supporting (such as Spanish) if English is their second language. I have found this to be so much more effective then behaving in a way in which on first impression immediately makes people feel inferior to you.
Making Beads with some of the beautiful people at UCC

I am acutely aware that because I am white, western, have family over seas, have people I can call on should I run out of money, am wealthy (in comparison with general population), and have two overseas passports and can therefore easily leave should anything happen in the country, that in society as a whole I will never be viewed as "equal" to the people that I serve. Well at least not on a superficial/socio economic level. But I want people who I will be working with/living with/friends with to know that I see them as equal to me. That I value their language as much as my own. That their food has equal value to Western food. That their customs , values and beliefs although might be different from mine are equally as valid as mine.


And the best way that I believe I can do this is by living in similar conditions to a lot of people in my community , eating the same  food as them, doing the same recreational activities as them, washing my clothes the same as them , speaking the same language as them, and spending all of my time with my beautiful Rwandan colleagues,  family and friends and not other expats.


I can't wait to "do life" with my Rwandan friends, to live out anti-oppressive values ,  and to live a more simpler life style. It is a life that God has called me to do.


Only 2months- minus 1 week to go.









Comments

Popular Posts