Surround Yourself with People that Inspire you!

Hi All.
You all probably don't know this - but I love quotes. One of my favorite quotes now is 'Surround yourself with people that inspire you'. I like to live according to quotes or Bible Verses that mean something to me. In Rwanda I believe I am surrounded by people that absolutely inspire me!

The staff at Ubumwe  Community Centre are an absolute inspiration. The compassion of the workers, and their ability to relate to people of all types of disabilities is truly inspiring. As I have said before the two directors are - wow- amazing.

Some of you know that my long term goal is to MOVE to Africa. and I wasn't sure where..Well when I came here for the first week - I thought I can't believe I want to live here full time.  Its so overwhelming and difficult here! This week though I have again been reminded of the purpose of my life - to love people. And what better way to love people than to love people who are outcasts in society. I believe God wants me to move to Rwanda (after finishing degree, and paying off my student loan!!)  long term. Its a ridiculously scary thought . And I think - how will I financially survive, how will I be able to afford to fly back to new zealand for my best friends and sisters weddings (Just get married in the next 3 years already) and how oh how will I get that dreaded visa? I am not sure but God will figure it out. This means I will have to sacrifice so many of my dreams that I had- like getting married in normal circumstances, like having a normal middle class white picked fence family, like having a cute wee cottage to decorate and make homely, like back packing around europe, like so many things...The idea of moving away from my amazing family is also super scary! I love them all so much - and I equally love all my amazing friends all over New Zealand. It will be difficult to leave them all behind to start a new life here. I realize that so much now. I have received blessing after blessing in my life, there have been so many people that have cared for me and loved me along the journey. It is time I think to care for and love others. and yes I realise New Zealand needs this as much as Rwanda. But when I share with you some of the stories of the people with disabilities here in Rwanda you will hopefully understand.

People with disabilities in Rwanda are treated very unkindly. Some families reject their children  (hence why there are so many  PWDS in Noel orphanage), while others send them to Ubumwe even when they are sick because they don't want them at home. There is such a stigma around disabilities here in Rwanda. It comes mainly from a lack of education and general understanding about what people with disabilities can or can't do. Some children at Ubumwe are smelly all the time and their clothes have never been washed. Anyone that knows anything about rwanda knows that outward appearance is where it is at in rwanda. Parents scrub their children when they go to school. They may be the poorest family in the neighbourhood but their kids are just as clean as everybody else. The fact that some kids at Ubumwe are dirty when they come to the centre, shows a lack of care from the parents. One of the volunteers Amza told me the other day that 80% of the parents of the kids with mental disabilities in the centre just don't care. He told me 'if you hear their stories - You will cry'. In fact I did cry a teeny tiny bit as I heard how two of the older girls ( I am guessing they are around my age) who have a mental age of about 8- 10 had  to be inserted with birth control to stop them from getting pregnant, because they were continually groomed for sex by various men in the village (including family members). It made me so so angry and sad to hear this. This is strongly illegal in Rwanda, and these men could face many years in jail. But where is the protection from the family? I know how protective my dad and his siblings are of their sister Mieke who had down syndrome.  I know that If I had a sister with the same problem my siblings, parents , cousins etc would spend every minute with her to protect her from evil deeds. I understand this comes also from a lack of understanding and compassion for people with disabilities in Rwanda.

However  I have some hope. Rwanda is making social progressions. One day everyone in Rwanda everyone will be equal. Just not today. And this is something that these kids will have to live with.

I have had a very busy week and a half. I took 4 girls from the orphanage to the lake for a swim and some food. I forgot that most of the girls had never been swimming before! I got such a fright when do of the girls nearly drowned! It took some coaxing to get them back into the water. On friday afternoons at the centre they always have a play and music to dance with . Dancing is so much of rwanda's culture. Just like biking is part of dutch culture. and going to the beach is part of New Zealand culture. Everyone in Rwanda can dance from the most severly handicapped onwards ! Its so much fun  to be a part of it all! I also went with the two french girls on a little exploration a little way down the lake (a 20 minute ride on the motourbike) are some hot springs like the ones we have in Rotorua. We explored around the springs, it was so so so so beautiful! while we attempted to walk back to gisenyi I heard people yelling 'keza!' looked up and saw two of the kids from Noel who had been reunified to this remote area.  I met their families and had a good catch up. It was so nice to see them again. In fact everytime I walk or go anywhere someone recognises me. I think I have seen nearly 200 of the kids from Noel (even though many of them have been reunified). Its so nice to see all their faces again.

I have been reminded again and again 'the things that you do matter', they all say keza remember the time 'you gave me this' or remember the time that 'you did this'. In fact I don't remember most of the time. I must have passed them off in my mind as nothing important - but to some of these kids /young people they were very significant. It just reaffirmed to me that everything I do should have a purpose! I have been to visit the orphanage a few times this week.  I had a few good long chats to some of the  guys who are still there about their futures. Some of them are so afraid about leaving the only home they know.

The other day we (the two french girls and I ) were invited to one of the volunteers houses . We thought we would visit for half and hour but it turned out to be a whole evening and a massive dinner that we were expected to eat. Her family was so awesome! Reminded me of my family. They also had 7 kids. 2 girls and 5 boys. I was immediately paired off with the oldest boy- but I asked for 2 cows in exchange, which they said they had. Haha.

Last weekend I went to the deaf church at ubumwe. I always have had a thing with deaf people. I don't know why. Maybe because I sometimes also have hearing problems. or maybe because I have such awesome cousins who are deaf. I am learning universal sign language! Its actually really easy and so much fun! I have always wanted to learn sign language!I spend a lot of time with the deaf kids. Yesterday I participated in a deaf skit and modelling. so much fun! There is one guy Shore who is blind and deaf. Yes like Helen Keller. we communicate by me moving his hands to make signs. Its actually really amazing. He can see a little tiny bit, however his older sister is completely blind and deaf and his younger brother who is also at ubumwe is also deaf and starting to loose his sight. I want to help this family and will explore options with the staff at ubumwe when I get the chance. I can't think of anything worse than being blind and deaf!

We celebrated world disability day together at ubumwe. What a big party that was! There we saw  blind  hand ball. Its a game where people roll balls at each other - well its more complicated than that - but it was great to see! There was plenty of food and drink for all the kids! and plenty of dancing to watch and singing to see.

I have a new nickname. Its imitsi. Apparently it means veins.  I have no idea of the significance. Some of the teachers at Ubumwe call me that. Haha they think its hilarious. I just call them that back. Tomorrow I plan to go to the deaf church again! There are so many things I could tell you. But otherwise I would be here all day. and I am expecting visitors soon! so better make my way back to my home soon :)

Just want to say thankyou for all your prayers and financial support. I feel blessed everyday here in Rwanda. Sometimes it overwhelms me when I think of all the people I care about at home! So Blessed!

God Bless you, Imana Iguhe Umugisha
Keza (Imitsi)



Comments

Popular Posts