Planning for trip number 3

Hey Blogland.
Its been a while. to be precise 2.5 years.
I am planning trip number 3 to Rwanda for 3 months again during the summer break between my third and fourth year of study as a social worker.

Some things have changed since I last blogged.

For one I have a strong faith in Jesus, that I did not have when I went to Rwanda previously (Sure I believed in God, but I really didn't see my need for Him).

Secondly I have 2.5 years of social work studies under the belt which will make me (hopefully) more equipped to serve the people in Rwanda.

Thirdly these last years I have been extremely active gaining valuable life skills that will be useful for working with children and young people in Rwanda. I have worked for 1.5 years with children with disabilities. I have also had the privilege of volunteering with a youth programme in the lower decile part of town for 2 years and have learnt valuable skills in this programme. I have also spent a lot of time with intoxicated students and first year students who are trying to find their place in the world. I have done this through volunteering as a red frog the last 2 years, and this year working as a residential assistant. All of these experiences and jobs have taught me a lot and I feel a bit more prepared for volunteer work overseas. Also I look forward to my social work placement next semester, where I will work in a social work capacity until I leave to go to Rwanda. The placement is unconfirmed for now, but it looks like I may be working with family violence.

And lastly there has been a number of personal tragedies among my family and friends in the last few years. These tragedies have shown me something of the sin in this world, the human spirit, and resilience.

Yet as I looked at my tickets that I booked on a whim  to go back to Rwanda I was scared. What have I done? Am I even capable. How did I manage before? Its so hard to get a visa.. will I even get a visa? I don't even know where I am going to volunteer. Or where I am going to live. and where on earth am I going to get the money from to be able to pay for it all? and how can I ask for money if I don't even know what I am going to do in Rwanda!

I was scared even though God showed me in His word that He would be with me.

I was scared because I had forgotten how it felt like to be in Rwanda. Even though I have spent the best part of this year and last year immersing myself in the African community in Dunedin I had forgotten what I felt like in the Rwandan community. Even though I have made friends with and grown to love many wonderful African immigrants (including a beautiful Rwandan girl- shout out to Noella!) I had forgotten just how much I loved the people of Rwanda.

I had forgotten until Now. I have just been reading my diaries from my trips to Rwanda. I didn't write much in them. I am a terrible diary writer. Mostly in my diary were lists of kinyarwanda words I had learnt, lists on how much money I had spent, and to do lists for the next day. However one day in my second trip to Rwanda, I did write something from the heart.

"I am blissfully happy to be here. I hope to remain here for always. I believe that this is the place where God wants me. All day I am happy. I go to bed happy. I wake up happy. I skip, I jump, I sing, I squeal, I laugh, I smile - ALL day long. Surely this is the place where I am meant to be?? Surely if there is anything I should do in my life then THIS is it''

And NOW I remember. I am no longer scared. Not only because I know God will be with me every step of the way, but because now I know - now I remember that God WANTS me to be there.

Yuusss I am so excited! 5 months to go before I leave!
 I will post again when I know what exactly I will be doing and where I am going. In the meantime if you all could pray for me (or cross your fingers- if that is what you are into) that I can find a great place to live and work for the three months I am in Rwanda.

Also if you want to donate to my trip (I have paid off the trip- but need money for visas, insurance, accommodation when I am in Rwanda , additional travel costs while in Rwanda, money for food  - then donate money on this quick and easy site : http://www.givealittle.co.nz//cause/blessingsforrwanda  all additional money will be spent on projects/ for the children I will be working with. I have kept records of prior donations and expenditure where you can see where all the money I have recieved goes to - if you are interested in seeing them. Also I will probably be selling earrings, necklaces and bags like I did last time I went- but I will let you know in plenty of time so you can get your orders in :)

Comments

Popular Posts