you know you are in rwanda when...

Today I had to reapply for my visa, finally,success! My application has been submitted now only to hear if it has been accepted or not and then I will be super happy. The lady at immigration was a very unsympathetic and frustrating lady to deal with . The man however was helpful , this time, I got the man he remembered me from last time and I could finally submit my application with all the necessary paperwork , Joanna the other lady with me was not so fortunate , she got the girl who wouldn't accept her paper work which was the exact same girl  as mine from last week, so she waited in line again and got thankfully seen by the guy who let her submit her application  .It was a very frustrating morning to say the least.. Noella is miraculously a lot better. Yesterday she came to visit me at my home, and she wasn't in bed once all day. I am so thankful that she is finally getting better, Yesterday she went to the doctor in Gisenyi and he said that she was getting better also , its very good news but the thing is Leprosy is a chronic illness it may be on the mend for now but she will most likely get another attack within a few months.
Today will only be a short blog as I have limited access.
I have been compiling a list simply for my own amusement on 'you know youre in rwanda when...' so here goes a few
You know you are in Rwanda when
* the taxis make your car look flash
*sleeping on the side of the road is completely normal
* putting your head on a strangers lap , is very ordinary
*when bikes are used for carrying extra people , bananas and tea leaves , and not for playing around on and doing jumps
*when you can buy machetes at your local supermarket
*when the only recognizable brands in the whole country are two cellphone providers
*when you have 6 forex bareaus in a row .
* when hitching a ride does not mean sticking out your thumb but means attaching ourself and your bike to the back of a truck
*when homosexuality is banned but seeing men holding hands is completely normal
*when having hot water is like going to a good restaurant
*when you can buy a necklace with a fake diamond encrusted nike label
*when beer is cheaper than water
*when african tea is equivalent to fairy dust (that was Joe a volunteer who also lives at the orphanage's suggestion)
*you walk out the front door and get mobbed by one hundred kids
* when nobody has any concept of time date or place.
*Rwanden busses come in threes
*there is nothing more scary to Rwandens than the rain, and wearing bare feet outside
*when a moto is the epiphany of death trap
thats all for now
love kim

Comments

Popular Posts